The second facility in the DuPont Integrated Seed Science Network, it is dedicated to developing and testing seed treatment formulations, applications and seed handling techniques. A walk around the facility during a corporate media event, showed how seed treatments will be tested, and how applicators could be trained as well.
The facility has three different types of seed treaters in-house for training and testing treatments. Jeff Daniels, technical agronomy and application lead of the DuPont Seed Treatment Enterprise notes: "The facility gives us on-the-ground capabilities to match treatments with genetics for the best integrated seed solution for our customers."
The new facility is aimed and ensuring growers get the most out of the seeds they plant, includes a range of equipment, technology and training resources, including:
* laboratories to evaluate the right combination of seed-applied products to help protect the seed and optimize yield potential.
* Treating and drying testing to better understand how components and processes interact which delivers a higher quality assurance and enhances product stewardship
* Real-world testing conditions for products and equipment
* Plantability evaluations that check for accuracy through planter meters and seed flow, essential for modern day planters
* Training lab to facilitate superior seed application and seed handling techniques to ensure a consisten grower experience with treated seed
The company uses an integrated approach, so once treatments are tested in the lab, they head out to the Intensively Managed Product Advancement, Characterization and Training plots run by DuPont Pioneer to see how they perform with company genetics.
"We take an integrated approach to matching the right treatment to the right variety or hybrid for common agronomic conditions," says Daniels. "We believe this is the best way to help growers advance their yields."
DuPont opened its first Integrated Seed Science Center in Wilmington, Del., last year, and a third facility is planned for South America.